Friday, March 7, 2008

You got SERVED!!!

A while ago I realized that I *really* like being served. No, Kiki, not the type of service I'd get just outside of Clark County. I mean good service at a restaurant or something like that.

I've previously ranted about freakin' fast food places not being able to get a simple order right ("Dude, I'm asking you to do LESS work by NOT putting cheese and pickles on my hamburger, but apparently your work ethic is so high that you couldn't possibly live with yourself if you let that hamburger get out the window without them,"). I think I had to go through multiple bad experiences before I realized how much I appreciate the good ones.

It finally sunk in when I was at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the Liddell/Silva fight in December w/my ol' pal Sonny. We normally get pretty good service here (and it's a GREAT venue to watch most major sporting events, particularly professional fights) but that night it was off. The place was busy, sure, but the liquor was flowing. Mad tips would be had. You figure that more tables = more tips, but we watched two servers look at us, ask us who was helping us, and then walk away having done nothing after we told them that we hadn't been helped yet. WTH??? The third lady finally got it right ("Hey, more tips for me! Sorry about the long wait...what can I get you boys?") and we were fine from that point on.

There are three elements of service that need to be there for a positive interaction. In order from easiest to hardest (or, I guess most common to least often found)...

- Observe/listen
- Respond
- Humbly submit yourself/subordinate yourself to the entity you're serving

It's those places that do all three well and consistently that will continue to receive my business when I'm given the choice.

No comments: