Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The significance of an asterisk



I voted to brand it.

Now do I think any of the publicly-lauded heavy hitters are completely performance-enhancer clean? No, of course not. Anyone who is currently perceived as having a shot of breaking the HR record has probably used something, and their records would be similarly tainted.

I don't want it branded because of steroids or other enhancers. I want it branded because of the one thing all those chemicals failed to enhance - Barry's charm. He's a jerk, plain and simple, and I want that asterisk on that ball for all to remember that he went about his career with such a lack of grace and class that it bears mentioning in the footnotes of baseball history.

1 comment:

EJ said...

I voted to banish it.

Baseball is nothing without it's statistics. And I personally would like to see them all go away. You don't see people glamoring over the basketball Kareem used to break the NBA scoring title, or the football Jerry Rice scored his final TD with. It's a number, and that's all.

- Enrique